Take Them A Meal
The creators, Scott Rogers and Adina Bailey, created the site for the following reason:
"In December of 2007, a close friend of ours collapsed from the sudden onset of a heart condition. The phone rang day and night because family, friends and neighbors wanted to help by bringing meals to her husband and four young children. We felt overwhelmed by the task of coordinating meals, but we wanted to help and knew the meals were needed. As a result, we designed a site that eliminated the need for making and receiving time-consuming phone calls.
Once the site was finished, we realized that meal scheduling is done not just when tragedy strikes, but when babies are born, when friends are receiving medical treatments, and in so many other situations. Before we knew it, many of our friends were making use of TakeThemAMeal.com and word was spreading. Just recently, a child in our community was severely injured. The family posted a link to their TakeThemAMeal.com account on their blog, and a meal schedule for several months was filled overnight.
We made TakeThemAMeal.com to help one family we care about deeply and that in itself made the site worthwhile. Now we’d like to share this tool, so others may be helped as well."
A few reasons to use this site:
- A family has the flu
- A new baby has arrived
- A family member is receiving medical treatments
- A family is caring for an ill family member
- A child is hospitalized long-term and meals are being delivered to the parents in the hospital lobby
- Weekly snacks are needed for the classroom
- Families are signing up to have a specific college student to their home for dinner
- Adult children are scheduling dinner dates with an elderly parent
- A loved one has died and meals are brought to comfort the family
Not only is this helpful tool free, but it can be used for such a variety of purposes! I'm really looking forward to trying it out...now I just need someone who needs to be taken care of! One of my friends needs to hurry up and pop out a baby because I would rather that be the reason for the food!
This is such a thoughtful way to show someone you care....