Amigos had their grand opening this week and I was more than eager to check it out! Oops...
For lunch yesterday I had their nachos swimming in refried beans and lots of white cheese dip. Oh, I know. Try that for 765 whopping calories. I ate the half order, but I honestly don't think that helped much...
Today I decided to play it a little smarter. While a splurge every now and then is okay, I had to get back on track! Even Sensa can't help when I eat 765 calories in a meal!
I chose a healthier option: Fajitas. It was very satisfying and I didn't kill myself on my food intake for the day!
If you want to eat healthier, but still enjoy your Mexican food try these instead:
- Eating regular salsa is just fine! It's the tortilla chips that get you...they're fried. While they taste amazing, it doesn't help you at all. Try grabbing a couple of soft tortillas and spreading your salsa on those. It's still satisfying and you can still have your salsa!
- Step back from the refried beans, amigos! They can be cooked with lard or bacon grease. They're also smothering with white cheese!
- You've also gotta watch out for that white cheese dip. It comes on everything and makes it all taste so good. You end up really stuffing yourself on it!
- If you have the choice between crunchy or soft tacos, go for the soft ones. Crunchy tacos have fried shells....makes them taste really amazing, but not so good for you!
- If you decide to splurge from time to time, have the server bring a To-Go box when your meal comes. Immediately put half of it in the box for later! If you're like me, you can always give the other half to your hubby who can literally eat his weight in Mexican food and never gain a pound....Just sayin'!
- Fill up on the veggies in fajitas or Mexican salads! They are great and help you save you from traveling down the wrong road!
I hope this helps you still enjoy some of your favorite meals when eating Mexican food!