I made a weekly shopping trip this week and I actually had to stock up on some stuff. So, I spent a little more than I did last week. I bought three weeks worth of tissue and paper plates. If not for those two big ticket items, we would have a grocery bill of about $110.00 this week.
(Yes, I'm using paper plates this week because I'm tired of washing never ending amounts of plates for five people. I've got a busy week and I just don't have the time or energy to wash dishes constantly.)
If you're new here, I am feeding my husband, two preteen kids, one hungry almost four year old and myself.
We limit processed foods and sugar in an effort to better our health and for me to continue to lose weight. I want to show you have you can eat clean without spending a ton of money! I shop at a local Aldi store and can find the best deals there. I used no coupons at all and still kept my grocery bill low!
It is actually cheaper for our family to eat clean this way. Ryan and I normally have grocery bills between $150 to $175 per week if we do not shop at Aldi, prepare our food in advance, and eat unprocessed junk.
My stepchildren are here with us for the summer and are not used to the clean eating lifestyle, so I have stayed creative with the meal planning. If you have picky eaters or want to start fixing healthier meals for your family, I can show you creative ways to make it appealing to your whole family.
This is only about half of what I purchased. I started running out of counter space! But, it gives you a pretty good idea of what I got.
- Whole grain oatmeal with fruit
- Fruit with Cottage Cheese
- Bagels with all natural peanut butter and raisins
Lunches for the Week:
- All natural grilled cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread
- Tuna sandwiches on whole grain bread
- Whole grain veggie and cheese quesadillas
- Big salad with grilled chicken
Dinners for the Week:
- Healthy tortilla casserole
- Turkey burgers on whole wheat buns
- Baked spinach and mushroom chicken
- Whole wheat gnocchi with cauliflower alfredo sauce
- Cedar Plank Salmon with brown rice
- Ground turkey tacos on whole wheat tortillas
I aim for protein and whole grains at each meal. We snack on fruit between meals. Our side dishes for our dinners are steamed, baked or grilled veggies as well.