Nutrition doesn't have to be complicated. I think we try to make things harder on us sometimes.
Focus on the 80% and ignore the 20. It's not rocket science.
The pillars are lots of protein, healthy fats, and nutrient dense carbs surrounding your workouts. Supplements are creatine, fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and protein powder. That's it. Some sources are more pure than others and the program isn't perfect but this is an easy plan that everybody can follow and live a healthy and vital life. Oh, that and tons of veggies."
- Johnathan Goodman
Sure, I've tried my best to dissect every single minute aspect of my diet over these past three years. I've been searching endlessly for the perfect combination that would make these final pounds magically disappear.
Enduring months of plateaus and lots of effort, I've come to the conclusion that my body is stubborn. What worked great in the past isn't cutting it now. Plateaus give you plenty of time to think....time to pick apart your lifestyle trying to figure out how to get where you want to be.
I've asked the question "Can I realistically live this way for the rest of my life?" Every few months I examine what my diet and lifestyle look like. Is it something I can comfortably continue for years to come? Are the results I'm getting now something I can maintain in five or ten years?
Calorie restriction, food group elimination, aversions to eating out, obsessing over every single thing you eat, working out for hours each week..... Can you do that every day for the rest of your life? Are you comfortable with what you're doing to your body? If you answered no, I urge you to switch things up!
I lost weight so that I could live.
I did not lose all this weight so that I could stress out over food, working out, or feeling self conscious. I didn't do this so that I could eat salads every single meal or that I would miss family dinners because it didn't fit my plan.
In the past I have examined the IIFYM eating approach. At the time, I loved the concept and it made perfect sense. But one thing remained: I was afraid of carbs and adding more calories into my diet. I was terrified of adding those things back and gaining weight.
After studying for hours on end, I think I'm ready to give it another try. Based on my body's needs, I need a combination of foods with 60 grams of healthy fats, 100 grams of carbs, and 150 grams of protein. However I choose to get there is up to me. But..... those three macronutrients steer you towards better quality foods yet still allow for flexibility. I cannot reach those three goals every day without putting healthy foods into my diet.
So where do I start?
The My Fitness Pal app allows me to enter my own macronutrient goals each day. I can use the app each day to guide me until I get the feel for this. This way of eating also forces me to eat more calories. I aim for 1543 per day. When I reach my goal and choose to maintain my current weight, my calorie intake will be around 1929 calories per day.
Want to calculate your own personal goals?
You can find the IIFYM calculator HERE! I would recalculate every 10 pounds lost or so.
I'm also planning to introduce strength training. I want to tone my muscles and work on my overall fitness level.
I want to aim for 80% whole grains, lean meats, healthy fats, fruits, and veggies. And the other 20%, I'm gonna enjoy any way I choose.